Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Success


Many measure their success by the amount of wealth that they have amassed in their bank accounts and material possessions. Many of these people are so busy building this wealth that they don't have the time to sit down and enjoy what they have. Their lives are filled with so much work that they seldom have time for their families. The children of people who fall into this way of looking at success learn young and hold onto the idea that love is expressed through money and possessions. The bonding that they form with the family unit becomes based on what is being given to them rather than with those who are providing for them. 
Now don't get me wrong, providing for and giving to your children is a wonderful thing to do. It does not however replace the love and personal bonding that children need in order to grow up to be a responsible adults able to pass this love onto their own. This personal bonding takes time, it takes the attention of the parents showing the children that they are more important than the things found in the driveway and around the house. They need to see that their parents are placeing their needs of time, attention and love as more important than their own wants. The children need to see that they come first. 
So, what other measure is there of success? I see success as being happy and satisfied with my place in life. Whether my children have grown and found happiness. I see success in statements from my children that say, “dad you raised me well, even when I might not have agreed with you”. Success shows itself to me when I see my children able to go out on their own to repeat the cycle, giving the love and attention to their family in a way that brings joy to their hearts. 
The love and happiness of the family is my measure of success. What good is all the money and all the toys doing for a man if he has nobody to share them with. 
Have you thought about your own measure of success?

No comments:

Post a Comment